- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- M..S in Computer Engineering, Middle-East Technical University, Turkey
- B.S. in Computer Science, Bilkent University, Turkey
Areas of Expertise
- Smart Grid Communication Security
- Privacy in Cyber-Physical Systems
- Topology Control in Ad Hoc Networks
- Efficient Protocol Design for Internet-of-Things
- Energy-Efficient Multimedia Data Processing
Dr. Akkaya leads the Advanced Wireless and Security Lab (ADWISE) at FIU. His research areas span various challenges of mobile and wireless networks, Internet-of-things and cyber-physical systems such as security, privacy, quality of service, topology control and mobility management. His research group design and implement algorithms that can be incorporated in real-life applications. Dr. Akkaya is the Area Editor of Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks and serves on the editorial board of IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials. He has been a guest editor for various journals and serves in the organizing committees of leading IEEE communication conferences such as IEEE LCN, ICC, Globecom, WCNC and SmartGridComm. He has published over 100 papers that are cited more than 6000 times so far. Dr. Akkaya is a member of IEEE and IEEE Computer Society. He is also a member in IEEE Technical Committees on Communication, Cybersecurity, Smart Cities and Online Social Networks.
- EEL 5718 – Computer Communication Networks
- TCN 5271 – Ubiquitous and Embedded Sensor Network-Centric Telecommunications
Referred Journal Articles
- Saputro and K. Akkaya, “PARP-S: A Piggybacking-based ARP for IEEE 802.11s-based Smart Grid AMI Networks”, Elsevier Computer Communications (to appear).
- Akkaya, K. Rabieh, M. Mahmoud and S. Tonyali, “Customized Certificate Revocation Lists for IEEE 802.11s-based Smart Grid AMI Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (to appear).
- Senturk, K. Akkaya and S. Yilmaz, “Relay Placement for Restoring Connectivity in Partitioned Wireless Sensor Networks under Limited Information”, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, Volume 13, Part B, pp. 487- 503, 2014.
- Yildiz, K. Akkaya, E. Sisikoglu and M. Sir, “Optimal Camera Placement for Providing Angular Coverage in Wireless Video Sensor Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 63, No. 7, pp. 1812-1825, 2014.
- Saputro and K. Akkaya, “On Preserving User Privacy in Smart Grid Advanced Metering Infrastructure Applications”, Wiley Security and Communications Networks, Vol.7 No. 1, pp. 206-220, 2014.